Friday, April 23, 2010

BOAT RIDE to Montserrat

The Catholic Youth Ministry Team at the Immaculate Conception Co-Cathedral
is organizing a
One day BOAT RIDE to Monserrat
on M.V. Carib Surf
on Labour Day, Monday, May, 3rd 2010
Departure from St. Kitts at 5.00 a.m SHARP!!! and from Nevis at 6.00a.m
Return from Montserrat at 5.00 p.m SHARP!!!

Total cost inclusive of Departure taxes: $250 EC for Adults and $175 for children under 12 years.
Tickets are unrefundble and not-transferrable. Passport will be collected when you buy the ticket.
Tickets are available at Harpers, Parish Centre Office, Jeff Fraites Supermarket in Molineux and the members of the Youth Ministry team.
For more information please call Lisa Hazel Claxton at 762-3986 and Vanessa Phipps 668-4638
Buy your tickets early as limitted number is available. All the tickets should be bought before or on April 30th

Lots of attaractions in Montserrat shall be oragnized with extra cost:
Trip around the island on a bus,
Trip to the Volacano and MVO -observatory,
Boat ride around the island,
Breakfast on the Boat, Lunch in Montserrat, etc

The income of the Fundraisiing is for the Catholic Youth Jamboree in Tortola in the summer of 2010

Monday, April 19, 2010

Crest for the new Immaculate Conception Catholic School

Oval-egg presents a similarity to the old crest of the St. Theresa's Convent School in terms of shape. Egg symbolizes security of an embryo

The oval egg is surrounded by the name of the school. Immaculate Conception on top and Catholic School at the bottom. In the past St. Theresa's Convent School became colloquially known as "Convent School" and St. Joseph's Primary became "Roman School." We hope that in the long run the school will be referred informally as the "Catholic School" and not “Convent” or Roman” school.

The two crosses that separate the words in the name represent the two schools that were merged: St. Theresa’s Convent School & St. Joseph’s Primary School. The crosses are incorporated in the new name of the school, both being and integral part of what was merged.

In the centre of the crest is a symbol of a mother looking at a child which has a multiple meanings:
First it symbolizes Virgin Mary and Child Jesus - since the school is called Immaculate Conception - Marian motive and name.
Secondly, a strong unity of the mother and the child is implied since they are connected together through body and soul (Looking at each other). Through that a mutual respect, care, love, etc. between Mary and Jesus; teacher and child; parent-child are symbolized.
Thirdly, it symbolizes the watchful eye of the teacher over the child and the parent over the child. We would like that the teacher-parent-child relationship be strengthened and highly upheld in the new school especially the involvement of parents in the school.

"Nothing is Impossible with God" or in Latin: "Nihil imposibile apud Deum" These words come from the story of the Annunciation to Mary by the Angel, just before Mary responded with her "Fiat - let it be" (Luke 1:37). it is also a reflection of how this school came about as well as a motivation for the students and the teachers that calls us to put our trust in God in everything we do as Mary did when she said - “let it be done...”

Immaculate Conception Catholic School

In the place where for the last 100 years two catholic schools stood side by side one for more privilaged and the other for less privilaged students one new school will be established as of September 2010. It will take the name of the parish: IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CATHOLIC SCHOOL.

Presently, a second two story building is being erectect which will host 12 classrooms with high tech labs for high school students of the soon to be established new school. The old building of St. Joseph's school will be transformed later this year into the Adminsitration Building for the new school. All this is done to a great vision and generosity of Dan and Kathy Mezzalingua and their late daughter Laurie.

The dream of the merger of the schools was in pipeline for the long time. Thanks to the Mezzalingua Family that great dream becomes reality.

We also want to assure all the alumni of the past two schools to unite them behind this big project and all care will be taken to preserve the history and memorabilia of the two schools that existed here and made this new school.

Blessing of the New School Building

A new two story school building that was errected on the grounds of St. Theresa's Convent School and St. Joseph's School on Stainforth Road in Newtown, Basseterre was officially opened and blessed at the special ceremony held on Monday morning, February 15, 2010 at 9.30 a.m.

The official cutting of the ribbon was done by Mr & Mrs Daniel and Kathleen Mezzalingua, the sole sponsors of the new school project.

It is hoped that soon after blessing, a second two story building will be errected on the other side of the school yard. The buildings will house the new Immaculate Conception Catholic School which will come into being when the existing catholic schools, the St. Theresa’s Convent School and the St. Joseph’s Primary School officially merge later this year.

A special body; Board of Trustees has been formed to "re-create" the catholic school and to ensure that this new school, which will be named after the parish in which it is located, will seek, through an innovative curriculum, to engage its students in learning that is dynamic, interactive and creative in preparing them to become productive and responsible citizens. It will seek to make the students to grow and mature in a safe Christian environment. The Board is seeking also to preserve the herritage and history of the two former schools which existed here for the past 100 years.

The new school is coming into being through initative and very generous finacial help of Mezzalingua family who are the owners of the Kajola Kristada Ltd. in St. Kitts. It was an initiative of now late Laurie Mezzalingua who for numbers of years struggled with the breast cancer and her parents to help the children of St. Kitts by building a world class facility for learning for two of the oldest well known schools of St. Kitts. At the ground breaking ceremony for the new school in January 2008, the late Laurie Mezzalingua had explained that the philanthropic gesture was her family’’s way of giving back to the island of St. Kitts as it has given them a "special gift in the people we’’ve met." The philantropic gestures of the Mezzalingua family are well known not just in St. Kitts. Laurie also founded in USA the Saint Agatha Foundation, which is named for the patron saint for those battling breast diseases, to help directly women suffering from the breast cancer.

Prior to the blessing of the new building of the school the Immaculate Conception Co-Cathedral Parish organized a special Dinner "Tribute of Love" in the Royal St. Kitts Hotel at which the Mezzalingua family was specially honoured by the parish. On Sunday, February 14 at 9.00a.m. a special Memorial Mass for the late Laurie Mezzalingua was celebrated at the Immaculate Conception Co-Cathedral on East Independence Square, Basseterre.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Co-Cathedral celebrates 150 years

Our year of celebration of 150 years of our parish culminates this December with
1) the special Parish Award Dinner on Saturday, December 6th at the Royal St. Kitts Hotel. Tickets are available at $150 EC per person.
2) Jubilee Eucharist, on the Feastday of Immaculate Conception, Monday, December 8, 2008 commencing at 7.00p.m. in the Co-cathedral.
Other somallre activities during that week still to be announced.

Brief History of the Catholic Church in Basseterre, St Kitts in the last 150 years

Roman Catholicism in St. Kitts revived from its ashes in the 19th century and flourished. In 1846 several hundred Portuguese from Madeira came to St. Kitts and were instructed in reviving the Catholic religion. Together with a few catholic families from the neighbouring islands of St. Maarten and St. Bartholomew, who had already settled on the island. Also some Irish Catholics fleeing the Irish Potato Famine have arrived in Basseterre and settled in what today is known as Irish Town in the western part of downtown Basseterre.


The first priest to arrive and work on theisland was Rev Fr. Hugh MacShane but it was under his successor Fr. John Taaffle that the erection of the church on Basseterre started. During the ministry of Fr. Michael O’Donnelly the church walls continued to rise, but could not be completed due to lack of funds.
In 1858 Fr. Phillip Lynch was officially appointed as the first parish priest of St. Kitts. This date marks the official establishment of the canonical parish on the island. He was sent to reside here in an effort to have the Church completed; there being no Presbytery, Fr Lynch lived free of charge with Mr. Emile S. Delisle, and Divine Service was held in a private home on Liverpool Row. Father worked with great energy on the church which had been under construction for over 12 years. A gift was made to the Church by Bishop Poirier of a beautiful statue of our Lady Immaculate and of a precious Crown of diamonds for the Madonna. In 1863 he also donated the 14 Stations of the Cross. In 1860 Fr. J.G. van Os succeeded Fr. Lynch, and he threw himself heart and soul into this work. His predecessor has completed the Church, but many immigrants were scattered over the entire island and consequently not within an easy reach of the pastor. He asked for and obtained from the bishop permission to say Holy Mass and administer the Sacraments in private homes, in case of necessity, on Sundays and holy days of obligation. Soon the happy results of his zeal were noticeable. His health, however, suffered, and he was transferred. Next pastor Rev Patrick Smith was able to acquire for the Church the two properties; north and south of the Church, where the present Presbytery and Parish Centre now stand. The Title Deed of both properties is dated Sept 3, 1863. In 1864 Fr. John Molly arrived and started to build the Presbytery and the school on the newly acquired lands. The Presbytery was ready for occupation late in 1867, however, the school which he built was forced to close in 1872 through lack of funds. Between 1874 and 1884 no fewer than nine different Priests ministered to the Catholics of St. Kitts. In 1884 Fr. Peter Smyth came, and his ministry lasted for the nearly 20 years.


The Convent was completed in 1895 and in Convent School opened in July 1896 with four Sisters of Mercy from England and 40 pupils. In 1901 Fr Smith imported new Stations of the Cross, and two years later the beautiful Statue of the Immaculate Conception, Patroness of the Church.
The Redemptorist Fathers arrived in 1904 with Fr. Alphonsus Stainforth CSsR as the parish priest. In 1906 Father purchased a large property beyond the Presbytery gardens, which he turned into schoolroom and the garden into a playground. The old schoolroom he made into a Sacristy and Oratory.
Both the bishop and the Parish priest worked very hard to secure Nuns to re-open the Convent, and finally in August 1911 they obtained the consent of the Order of the Union of the Sacred Heart and the Sisters arrived on December 5 of the same year. The Convent was re-opened in January 1912, and managed to stay open largely due to the benevolence and generosity of Mr Joseph Farrara and Mrs E. Pistana. In 1913 Rev Fr. Joseph Hermans, CSsR arrived, and his work with the youth and the various Church Societies was remarkable. In 1916 yet another property was bought for 300.00 pounds, north of and adjoining the Convent. This was used to expand the schools to build new classrooms and make a space for a playground.
Here a mention of various sisters who administered the schools should be made, especially the Convent of the Union of Sacred heart, the Sisters of Mercy, the ICM sisters and most recently the Caribbean native sisters from Jamaica the Franciscan Missionary Sisters.

BUILDING OF THE (NEW) CHURCH (present Co-Cathedral)

In 1923 the then Parish Priest, Fr. Rabaey expressed from the pulpit the hope the hope that the Catholics of Basseterre be able to boast of the better church. At once collections were taken up, bazaars and concerts organized and appeals were made, and the work was undertaken without delay. On January 16, 1927 a farewell sermon was preached to the old church all furniture including the organ was removed to the hall, transformed into a temporary Church. The walls of the old church were taken down to give space for the new church built on the same spot. The work commenced on the new Church on the 17th of March 1927 St. Patrick’s Day- and on 22nd of April the Memorial stone was solemnly blessed. The church rose as if by magic, under the able direction of Fr. Claeys assisted by Bro. Mathias, with Fr. De Ridder running the Parish, and in less than two years it was completed. The dedication of the new church of the Immaculate Conception took place on December 1928. The Redemptorist Fathers from Belgium and Ireland worked in the parish from 1904 until 1981. One of the well known and remembered Redemptorist priests who worked in the parishes of St. Kitts is Fr. John Bergmans CSsR, now retired in Belgium who worked in St Kitts from 1956 until 1981. The other priest who served only as assistant priest but worked very hard with the choirs and made the Immaculate Conception choir very famous in the Leeward Islands and beyond was Fr. Van den Berge


Until 1970's St. Kitts together with other Leeward Islands was a part of the Diocese of Roseau (Dominica). In 1971 a new diocese was formed comprising of the English speaking Leeward Islands north of Guadeloupe, Most Rev. Joseph Bowers, SVD became bishop of the Diocese of St. Johns (in Antigua) He was able to draw confreres of the Divine Word Missionaries to help in the diocese to carry one the work of Evangelization. The first to answer his call was Fr. Jacques Nyssen, who repaired the church of the Immaculate Conception, the Presbytery and the Convent - now the Pastoral Centre.
Most Rev. Donald Reece D.D from Jamaica became bishop of the Diocese in October 1981 on the retirement of Bp. Joseph Bowers. It was a year in which Antigua and Barbuda gained their independence from Great Britain. Two years later, in September 1983 the twin islands of St. Kitts and Nevis became an independent nation. This was the time when both capitals of the two independent nations needed to have their Cathedral. It was a time when a new cathedral started to be built in St. Johns, Antigua and this church of Immaculate Conception was raised to the rank of the Co-Cathedral.


With the elevation of the Immaculate Conception church to the rank of Co-Cathedral the Diocese’s name has changed from Diocese of St. Johns-Antigua to Diocese of St. John’s-Basseterre. Under the very dynamic leadership of Bishop Donald J. Reece many of the reforms of the Vatican II were implemented and the laity has assumed many responsibilities, including the administration of the Catholic schools and the work of catechists which was largely reserved to religious sisters and priests before. Fr. Jacques Nyssen, SVD besides the work of repair and renovations has also introduced many lay ministries and apostolates which exist till today. He started the St. Vincent de Paul Society and established the first Parish Pastoral Council.
From the early 1980's until today the Parish clergy are from the Society of the Divine Word (SVD’s) with the exception of Fr. Edward Lawlor and Fr. Gerard Critch who were ordained priests for the ne Diocese of St. John’s Basseterre and served the Co-Cathedral in later part of 1980's.
From 1986 until 2007 the Sisters of St. Martha of Antigonish in Canada did pastoral work in the parish and schools. Among them sisters Brendalee, Sr. Donna, Sr. Mary and Sr. Theresa are well remembered among many others. They engaged especially in catechetical, social work and Prison ministry. One of the recent priests, well remembered is Fr. Frank Power, SVD who worked as parish priest for nine years (1991-2000). Under his leadership some new lay ministries and groups were established and the former convent; Formation House was renovated and transformed into Parish Centre. Fr. Larry Finnegan, SVD who succeeded him started fund-raising for the renovation of the Presbytery. The presbytery was completely rebuilt to retain its former fa├žade in 2006. In 2007 with the help of the generous donor the plans for amalgamation of two schools St. Theresa’s Convent and the St. Joseph school has begun. The project envisages complete rebuilding of the schools by 2011 and on the place of the two schools opening one Immaculate Conception School. In 2007 also the plans and fund-raising started for the complete renovation of the Co-Cathedral.

Pastors of the Immaculate Conception Parish - Basseterre, St. Kitts

1858-1860 Fr. Phillip Lynch
1860-1862 Fr. J. G. van Os
1862-1865 Fr. Patrick Joseph Smyth
1864-1874 Fr. John N. Molloy
1875-1876 Fr. A van Lopick
1876-1877 Fr. Anthony Theves
1878-1884 Fr. J. Gangneux
1884-1904 Fr. Petras Smyth
1904-1910 Fr. Alfonsus Stainforth, CSsR
1910-1913 Fr. G. Jenssens, CSsR
1913-1920 Fr. Joseph Hermans, CSsR
1920-1923 Fr. G. Rabaey, CSsR
1923-1924 Fr. O. Cuvelier, CSsR
1924-1924 Fr. P. van den Bemben CssR/
1924-1925 Fr. P Taverniers, CSsR
1925-1927 Fr. H. Claeys, CSsR
1927-1937 Fr. August M de Ridder, CSsR
1937-1938 Fr. Joseph Strijckers, CSsR
1938-1940 Fr. F. Bergmans, CSsR
1940-1943 Fr. Felix Boogaerts CSsR
1943-1946 Fr. Albert Roberge, CSsR
1947- 1948 Fr. James Dwyer, CSsR
1948-1953 Fr. Joseph Duerloo, CSsR
1953-1955 Fr. R. Van Den Berghe CSsR
1955-1956 Fr. Joseph Hermans, CSsR
1956-1963 Fr. John Bergmans, CSsR
1963-1967 Fr. Joseph Duerloo, CSsR
1968-1969 Fr. Michael J Brosnan, CSsR
1970-1981 Fr. John Bergmans, CSsR
1982-1986 Fr. Jaques Nyssen, SVD
1986-1987 Fr. Ed Herberger, SVD
1987-1991 Fr. Edward Lawlor
1991-2000 Fr. Frank Power, SVD
2000-2003 Fr. Larry Finnegan, SVD
2003- now Fr. Bernard Latus, SVD